Okay, so I found this recipe on Rachel Ray's website and it's out of my "box", but I thought the hubby would like it because it's spicy.
Whew-whee! Is it ever hot!
I don't think I'll be making it again and if I do, then I will definitely cut back on the chiles in adobo sauce, but if you like a lot of spice then you will LOVE this!
P.S. The hubby thought it rocked!
You will need:
1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (i skipped the 2 Tbsp sauce)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 hass avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 pieces
- Crushed tortilla chips
- To make:
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, lower the heat to medium and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, then stir in the chicken broth.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming any foam.
- Stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 avocado slices in each of 6 soup bowls and pour in the soup.
- Top with the tortilla chips.
Source: Rachel Ray