Search This Blog

Dec 4, 2013

Corn Chowder


Corn Chowder

I've made many various types of corn chowder, but I've still been on the hunt for one with exceptional flavor. I am thrilled that I have finally found the recipe, and of course it is from Pioneer Woman, my cooking inspiration!
I made this up and the husband loved it and raved, which is big for a soup because he usually doesn't mind them much ( I think it was the chipotle peppers that did it!) I also brought some over to a friend and although they are not soup lovers themselves, they raved too.
I'm confident that this is my new go to corn chowder recipe!

You will need:

5 ears corn, shucked
2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 -3 chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce, finely diced)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
4 ounces green chilies, diced
3 tablespoons cornmeal
salt
corn tortilla, for serving


Directions:

Slice the kernels off the corn cob.


Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook in large pot over medium heat until the fat begins to render, about 2 minutes.


Add the diced onion to the pot and cook it until the onion is translucent and the bacon is cooked but still chewy, about 5 minutes.

Throw in the corn kernels and stir.

Mince chipotle peppers and stir them into the corn. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
Pour in the low sodium chicken broth followed by a splash of heavy cream.

Stir to combine.

Add the green chilies.

Let the soup simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.

Mix the cornmeal with 1/4 cup water and stir together.

Stir the mixture into the soup and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until thickened.

Taste and add salt if needed.

Serve in bowls with warm corn tortillas on the side.


 I paired ours with rolls and a green salad and it was perfect!



Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from my Frontier by Ree Drummond

No comments:

Post a Comment