Search This Blog

Mar 24, 2011

Mandarin Salad



My mother in law makes this fabulous salad & I was craving it so bad the other day!
It has a nice, light dressing that goes with everything. The recipe calls for manadarin oranges in it, but I didn't have any on hand so I used strawberries instead. You really can substitute just about anything you'd like!
The key to this salad is making the delicious nut clusters. Trust me....it'll be worth it! 

Mandarin Salad
½ cup sliced almonds
3 Tbsp sugar
½ head iceberg lettuce
1 cup chopped celery
½ head romaine
2 green onions, chopped
1-     11 oz. mandarin oranges, drained
In skillet pan on medium heat, cook almonds & sugar until dissolved (be VERY careful because this will easily burn). Stir constantly! Cool on wax paper.

Dressing:
½ tsp salt
Dash of pepper
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
Dash of Tabasco

Mix & chill.
Mix lettuce, celery, onions together. Then add almonds, oranges & dressing!




I made extra nut clusters & later on that week made up a quick salad & used the clusters for an added crunch!

1 comment: