Search This Blog

Feb 17, 2014

Honey Sesame Chicken


Funny story.
I never liked Chinese food until college.
Seriously.
I don't know what it was,
most likely because I grew up in a small town in northern michigan and there really weren't any chinese restaurants.
Needless to say,
I am  ALWAYS on the lookout for a GREAT chinese dish and I am usually disappointed.
BUT I have found a sure WINNER that I am making ALL THE TIME now!
This Honey Sesame Chicken will blow your socks off and having you put the phone down from ordering chinese takeout and making it yourself!

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1 cup cornstarch
3 eggs
salt and pepper
¼ cup canola oil

Sauce:
¾ cup honey
¾ cup soy sauce
½ cup ketchup
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 t sesame oil
1 t minced garlic
1 T cornstarch
additional sesame seeds for garnish

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
 Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.

In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. 
Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture. I have also found that you can put the chicken pieces in a gallon size bag and shake to coat.

Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, and 1 T cornstarch.

 Pour over chicken and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.


I served ours with broccoli and fried rice.
Enjoy!


Recipe Source: http://therecipecritic.com/

6 comments:

  1. Do you think you could freeze this after it's cooked? I'm looking for some yummy freezer meals for a pregnant friend who's sick. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question Ashley! I've never tried it before. Please let me know if you end up trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give it a try in the next few weeks and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I made this for my family and planned to freeze the extra but there wasn't any! It was so flavorful! My sauce seemed much thinner than yours though. It didn't really stick on the chicken. Any ideas why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashely, I love that your whole family gobbled it up. We did the same! Next time when you're making the sauce, if its too thin, try slowly adding in a little bit more cornstarch until you get the consistency that you like.

      Delete
  5. use China Corn Cob in a combination with this to serve on the table

    ReplyDelete